Wednesday, July 31, 2024

 Okay, it's been a REALLY, REALLY long time since my last blog. A lot has happened since then. For one thing, Covid. For another, I took on the responsibility of being a member on the board of directors for the Friends of the International Quilt Museum in Lincoln, Nebraska. Then I was President of the Friends board of directors. Now I'm president of Starlight Quilters Guild in Overland Park, KS. I've presented workshops and hosted sew days for the guild as well as leading the monthly meetings. I attended a retreat or two, with another one coming soon. I've edited a bunch of amazing patterns by various designers, I've retired from presenting lectures and trunk shows because it had become taxing on my physical abilities. Lugging around 5 large roller bags of quilts became too much for me, even with the help of my husband. So now I'm teaching, presenting workshops, and representing my guild at area meetings and shows. I love teaching but many guilds want you to do both a trunk show/lecture and a workshop so my teaching is limited to techniques and personally designed patterns. 

My love of quilts and quilting is primarily focused on quilt history. This included women's history and ethnic history. I'm working on a new book but cannot release any information right now. Perhaps soon.

So today, I'll borrow a question from American Express and ask, "What's in your bag?" My bag is stuffed with cathdral window blocks. I started with just a few -- you know, "I'll just make a pillow." Then I added more blocks, just to make a table topper. A few block later it's turning into a wall quilt. I'm pretty sure I'll quit at that point, but who knows. I am enjoying it and thinking about teaching it, along with a couple other techniques that involved folding and scrunching fabric for texture and design. 

Are any of you fans of the Cathedral Window block? What do you make with this technique? 

And back to my original question -- What is in YOUR (quilting) bag?

Tune in next week to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment